Monday, May 2, 2011

All aboard the Misha Express. Destination...Haiti.

I'm sure that by now everyone in the fandom knows all about Hope to Haiti. If not: Shame on Twitter Minions!   You should be promoting the hell out of your page.If you don't have one, promote someone else's! If you don't have Minion friends promote mine! <-- See what I did there ;-)
But for anyone who has been helping with the war in Heaven (anyone else think Castiel needs to skyjack some particular Navy Seals?) and has missed hearing about the project here is the short version.
On September 5th Misha did a charity run, 'Run Misha Run', to raise funds for the Earthquake torn Haiti and other charity needs at Random Acts. I pledged US$1/km. Misha ran 83km twittering all the way! (note to self: Never underestimate an earthbound angel) It took him 11hrs with pit stops to take photo's with cows and to tell us he pissed on his shoe!Read all about it here. It has pictures!
 This was followed up with a trip to Haiti where a dental clinic was built and orphanages were refurbished along with the great team at Random Acts. Skip to March this year and Misha tweets that he is going back to Haiti...and we can come too! All we had to do was join the Hope to Haiti Project at Crowdrise, fill out a profile and the first 40 to raise $5,000 through their page gets to come along! Sounds easy yes? Wrong! Now we get to my part in this.
 Living in Oz and needing to pay for your own trip automatically rules me out of the running. I checked. It would cost me $3,000+ just for my return flights to Miami. Not to mention the $900+ needed to pay for my Miami/Haiti/Accomodation package. Then spending money! It's a pipe dream. But Misha being the generous person he is, is giving out prizes to the people who raise $1,000. Yay! One of Misha's favourite books with a personal message (he bloody better not rip the last page out!), a cd of his favourite songs (Destiel based?) and some Random Acts stuff. WOOHOO I'm there!
So I joined up. I spammed my page everywhere. With only two bites,and they were random strangers. What the? Not even some support from my family and friends! Well I needed to step this up or that book would never be mine. That night I googled and googled for ideas. I must of had an angel cheering me on, because I fell in a goldmine...well stumbled onto a brilliant fundraising page! I get a brilliant 2 hour stage show and split profits 50/50 with the performer. I just had to have at least 100 people turn up. $20/ticket = $1,000 for Haiti.  I booked a hall yesterday and contracts have been signed. Stage show happening on the 4th of June. Want to know what my fundraiser is? I can do better! I will show you...


A hypnotist! Brilliant!..we have never had one come to our town before and I already have people telling me to reserve them tickets. This is going to be a sell out! I am hoping to raise $3,000 and I'm sure I will reach it easily now.
Any Aussie readers who want to see if they can get him for a fundraising night,his name is Greg Hudson and he's very popular. What is your fundraising idea?

Special bonus - The first 5 people to say g'day and leave their crowdrise Hope to Haiti link in my comments will get a $5 donation from me tomorrow/Wednesday - my time.

Don't forget to check out my page too. Link is on the left. Donate, friend me, give me points or just say hello.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Paula! G'day! That is a brilliant idea, having the stage show and all that. Very clever. I hope you sell out the show and get to go to Haiti! :-D http://bit.ly/eeDScS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Paula! You are brilliant! This is a very cool looking blog - and I like your idea for helping the rest of the minions out, too. I've not been online much today because I was writing a paper (Eleanor of Aquitane and the Culture of Courtly Love) and preparing for a poetry reading (where I earned $45.00 for the cause). Good luck with your fundraising, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Yaaurens and Suzanne!I thought this would be a good way to get my blog out there and support my favourite charity at the same time!
    Special thanks to lurker Sarah who couldn't post here but happily commented on my blog post at Crowdrise. Donations have all been added to your project pages.
    Minions are Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete